Professor of Management Information Systems
Information Systems, Statistics and Management Science
Focus and Current Research
I.T. leadership in corporate governance, cyber-security policy and planning, information systems development and delivery methodologies, information systems process and quality metrics programs, I.S. project management.
University of Missouri (B.S., M.A.), Texas Tech University (Ph.D.).
Honors Achievements & Affiliations
- Appointed to Governor Bentley’s cabinet as Acting Secretary of Information Technology. Led statewide Information Technology strategic planning, policy, governance, and service delivery to 150+ state agencies, 35,000+ employees, and 1,400 IT professionals. Key accomplishment and initiatives included:
- Named to StateScoop's Top Women in Technology – 2017
- Established the state’s first enterprise cyber-security program to protect the Confidentiality, Integrity, and Privacy of the citizen data.
- Established the statewide Data Analytics program to enable enterprise and inter-agency data driven decision making.
- Enabled the network performance required of modern software applications by upgrading the core state network.
- Served as: Executive Committee Member, National Association of State Chief Information Officers; Executive Committee Member, Alabama CIO Council; Co-Chair, State Longitudinal Data System (SLDS) Governance Committee; Acting Chief Policy Officer, State Longitudinal Data System (SLDS); Member, State of Alabama Homeland Security Task Force; Chair, State of Alabama Office of Broadband Development Executive Committee; Board of Directors Member, Alabama Supercomputer Authority; Chair, Alabama Geographic Information Systems Executive Council
- Published 60+ journal articles, conference proceedings and technical reports, building a reputation as an expert in Information Systems planning, strategy, project governance and disaster recovery. Dr. Hale's research has been published in Journal of Management Information Systems, Communications of the ACM, International Journal of Human-Computer Studies, Journal of Software Maintenance and Evolution, ACM DATA BASE, Journal of Software Engineering and Applications, IEEE Software, IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, among others.
- More than 15 years of leadership experience in an IT solutions delivery organization with 180+ developers.
- Managed an annual IT project portfolio of 40-50 diverse IT projects for private and public organizational clients, including IT planning, technology needs assessment, cost benefit analysis, disaster recovery, application development, and infrastructure design.
- Developed and maintained strategic relationships with client executives to ensure their needs were met.
- Led a diversity of IT initiatives for the State of Alabama and its agencies, ranging from strategic planning to financial impact assessment, vendor evaluation, and application development.
- Aided in economic development by successfully recruiting new IT businesses to the State, leading the development of a software product innovation serving as the foundation for a new business venture, and helping Alabama businesses find and recruit the technical talent needed to grow.
- Built and led an internationally recognized MIS program (ranked 4th among public universities, 8th overall in the US by Bloomberg; student organization ranked 1st or 2nd globally for 5 years, since ranking began by the Association for Information Systems).
- In 2005, Dr. Hale was honored to receive The University of Alabama National Alumni Association Outstanding Commitment to Teaching Award.